Clutch Woes

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Clutch Woes
From: dbraun@cadev6.intel.com (Doug Braun ~)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 92 07:30:37 -0700
Well, I took the transmission out of my MK IV Spitfire last evening,
in preparation for putting in my recently-imported overdrive transmission,
and I was horrified to notice that my clutch was in pretty bad shape!

After only two years and 10,000 miles, the throw-out bearing had worn
a deep groove into the flat springs in the pressure plate, where
it pushes against them.  The springs had been worn to about half
their original thickness.  I immediately suspected that the throw-out
bearing had gotten seized up, but it seemed fine (it was replaced
when I last did the clutch).  All the parts were OE Borg and Beck.
I hadn't noticed any funny noises, and the only symptom was a
slight judder when engaging the clutch.  The hydraulics had also
been rebuilt 2 years ago.

What could cause this?  Are the Borg and Beck parts intrinsically
no good?  The parts that got replaced 2 years ago were the same brand,
and the pressure plate was also ruined.

On the Spitfire, since there is no adjustment, it looks like the
throw-out bearing is always pressing lightly against the pressure plate
springs, and thus always turning.  Is this really true?  Should
the face of the throw-out bearing be lubricated at all?

Enquiring minds, etc.,

 Doug Braun                         Intel Design Technology
                                    408 765-4279

 dbraun@scdt.intel.com

 or maybe:

  / decwrl \
  | hplabs |
 -| oliveb |- !intelca!mipos3!cadev6!dbraun
  | amd    |
  \ qantel /