Re: too much pressure, Lucas, SU bashing

To: taylor!randy@hoosier
Subject: Re: too much pressure, Lucas, SU bashing
From: pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@medtron.medtronic.COM (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 92 9:28:26 CDT
Randy writes >

>some things that have always
>irked me working with British cars and "typical" owners:

>Every wiring fault, no matter how high-quality wirenuts and bandaids used in
>the last patch, are blamed on poor old Joe Lucas.

Right.  Except for the mysterious on-again-off-again horns, I never had any
trouble with the original Lucas wiring in the Midget.  I took it as a blessing
that it had not been kludged and still all matched the diagram in the book.

>MGB's and Midgets that fall flat one their face every time the throttle is
>banged open "cause those damn SU's always went out, so I put on this Weber".

Right. Bob Bownes tuned my SUs in a car park and they worked just fine for two
years, until I sold the Midget to pay for my Lotus.  I never did a thing to
them.

>MGB's that fuel starve after five seconds at wide open because the original
>pump got trashed and one of them "hi-tech" Fawcett pumps got put in.

This one I am going to disagree with.  Brian Erickson is a professional
mechanic and has seen more fuel pumps of every description than I ever will.
His advice is to throw the SU pump as far as possible.  (He likes SU carbs.)
Brian has been running the same FACET pump for ten years with zero
maintenance.  I assure you that when Brian runs BIR in his MGB, he stays wide
open for CONSIDERABLY longer than five seconds.  I ran a FACET in my Midget for
three years with zero problems.

>P.S. Next person to crack a Lucas or SU joke ought to spend some time owning
>     a '70 Alfa Spyder; twin DCOE's and Marelli electrics. There's a reason
>     old Alfa's have less miles on them than old MGB's. :>

Stolen from someone on the list:  "If Lucas is the Prince of Darkness, then
Marelli is the patron saint of tow-truck drivers."

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman