engine & carb questions

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: engine & carb questions
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 92 11:26:05 -0400
        I finally broke down.  I wanted to get a GT6 engine
and driveline in my spitfire this summer, but it isn't going
to happen.  Perhaps this winter (sigh). . .  So i'm rebuilding
one of the 1500 engine I have in the basement.
        A few questions and requests for the net-
Now that the head is in the shop, what should I have done to it?
My intention is to put in flat top pistons.  This should give a 9:1
compression ratio.  What type of porting work do I need to
compliment a mild performance increase.  What do you think about the
kent cams offered by TRF?  Perhaps there is a cheaper source for
performance cams (Ted at TS imports?)  I'd like to fit an oil cooler
again I have my eye on on the TRf setup (opinions?)
        I'd like a twin su setup.  Does anybody have one they
would like to part with?  TS has em' but they cost a fair amount.
        What do you think about the objections TRF has to the AE
brand bearings?  These seem to be the only choices I have.

        thanks in advance-
woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu