TR6 Timing

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Timing
From: Ron Hood <hood@advtech.uswest.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 92 15:35:58 MDT
I'm still playing "Let's get to know the new car" with my '74 TR6, and this
weekend's project is checking/setting the timing.  As usual, nothing is as
easy as it might seem at first.  Here's what I found:

        1) The specs call for 4 degrees ATDC at 800 RPM, which seems *really*
           late to me.

        2) When I first checked the timing it was close to 6 degrees BTDC at
           idle -- a long ways from where it should be.  I seem to remember
           from my old auto shop days in High School that we'd adjust the
           timing with the vacuum advance disconnected, but that didn't
           seem to make any difference (neither the Haynes or Chilton's manual
           I have said anything about this).

        3) In the process of removing the vacuum line I found that there was
           no vacuum present in the line.  This got me to tracing the line
           back to the carbs, but instead I found this funky vacuum switch
           in the radiator hose.  Further investigation found cracked and
           broken fittings on the lines feeding the switch.  Using some
           old hose from the workbench I was able to past things back together,
           but still no vacuum (and yes, the engine was running at the time).

        4) I checked the "vapor traps" and found them moderately difficult to
           blow through, so I tried bypassing them.  Still no vacuum.

        5) Finally, I bypassed the whole mess and connected the distributer's
           vacuum advance line to the vacuum line coming off of the carbs.
           Ta da -- the timing shifted several degrees.

        6) After setting the timing the engine idled quite a bit better, but
           it tends to backfire at low RPM when you rev it (once it gets going
           it seems to be OK).

So here's some questions:

        - Is 4 degrees ATDC legit?

        - What do the vapor traps do?  Catch condensed fuel?

        - Why the hokey vacuum line configuration?  Is the switch in the
          radiator hose supposed to shut off the vacuum advance while the
          engine is cold?

        - Are the connections to the radiator-hose-switch critical?  The owners
          manual showed a different arrangement than was presesnt on the car,
          and the TRF catalogue detail showed a three-port switch (mine has
          four) in yet another configuration.

        - What about this backfire?  I seem to be suffering from an illusion
          that I own a sports car and that I can go zooming off in to the
          sunset, when in reality the best I can do is "cough, cough, POP,
          Brrrrrrrrroooooooooom".  Surely there's something I can do to coax
          a little more "zoom" out of the car?

        - Finally, how hot should I expect this car to get?  It never gets over
          the half-way mark on the guage, but the engine compartment is really
          baking.

As always, thanks for the help and advice.

Ron
--
Ronald C. Hood                                  U S WEST Advanced Technologies
hood@uswest.com                                 Boulder, Colorado