MGB transmission question

To: Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu
Subject: MGB transmission question
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 92 09:58:42 -0700
Mr. Haber scribed:>
>> - It does not have a dip stick, but instead a bolt on the side to fill oil.

Mr. Garnett scribed:>
> You got me on that one- I also thought all MGB's dip-sticks. I suppose it
> could be a 77-80 feature.

I too have this transmission on my car. No dipstcik only a bolt on sode
of tranny to fill with oil.

My car is a Heinz 57 of an MGB. The car body and registration says it is
a '77. The engine I know is a '65 18GB-UH-..., the carbs are '72,
transmission (unknown), and as near as I can tell the rest of the car is
original.

But I too have often wandered about the no dipstick thing. This is quite
aggrevating as your only choice for checking is to remove the fill plug
and watch the oil spill down the side of the tranny and onto the garage
floor. Which does nothing but to piss-off everybody concerned, like
landlords, wives, and most importantly yourself because now that it is
on the floor you will more than likely end up with it on you. And so
consequently you end up not checking the tranny oil as often as you
might if it had a dipstick.

Just my $0.02 worth, from a rambling insane madman.

Bruce "Turning wrenches in 114deg Phoenix sun" Carter