Re: MGB transmission question

To: haber@cs.wisc.edu (Eben Merriam Haber), british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB transmission question
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1992 11:43:27 -0400
Eben Merriam Haber scribed:
 Subject: MGB transmission question

> I recently bough a used transmission for my '66 MGB roadster to repalce
> 3 syncro with only 1st and 4th still working.  The replacement I am told is a
> late model full syncro trans.

> - It does not have a dip stick, but instead a bolt on the side to fill oil.

You got me on that one- I also thought all MGB's dip-sticks. I suppose it
could be a 77-80 feature.

> - It also has an additional switch, to the back up light, which I think is an
> over drive engagement switch.

No, that's either a neutral switch for the &$*# start in neutral system,
or the 3-4 gear switch, which is the only "allowable" gears for OD.
Unless you have a box growing off the side of the tailshaft area, you
got no OD.

> - Also, do I need to switch my stater motor to the later pre-engaged type

Preferable anyhow. May be required.

If I change starters, do I need a relay

Some have a built in soloniod, some add another relay.

> - Finally, will I have a problem fitting it in my -66 trans tunnel?

You will have to enlarge the tunnel some, as the shifter sits further back
on the later gearbox. You may need a larger inner diameter pilot
bushing in the back end of the crankshaft, and I can't remember if
you have to swap the rear engine plate as well. I've got 2 MKI B's
which have been converted, but I didn't do it, and haven't really compared
the old & new tranny's side by side (yet).

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!