re: air compressors/ plumbing/ tools

To: wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu
Subject: re: air compressors/ plumbing/ tools
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 12 Jun 1992 13:35 EDT
>I bought a jitterbug sander and an air gun too.  Can anyone recommend
>air tools that I just won't be able to live without?  I plan on
>getting an impact wrench and a paint sprayer and a wet sander, but
>beyond that I don't know what is valubale to have around.

Absolutely get an air ratchet.  I'd get that before the impact gun.
The air ratchet can be used with regular sockets and it is a tremendous
time saver.  Many times I've first loosened a nut in a very tight
place where I couldn't get much motion with a regular wrench or
convention ratchet.  Once the nut is loosened just a bit, I then put
on the air ratchet and off it spins.
Even to remove lug nuts from wheels, I just break the lug nut
free (I never did buy an impact gun) and then use the ratchet
to spin it off the rest of the way.

An air ratchet (3/8) can usually produce about 50 ft/lbs of torque,
so I've even loosened some nuts with the ratchet.  The real value
of the air ratchet came the first time I needed to drop the oil pan
on a TR-3 engine (19 bolts) while on my back.  The air ratchet made
the job a breeze :-)

Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com