Re: PVC pipe was re: air compressors

To: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PVC pipe was re: air compressors
From: sbender@dsd.es.com (Steve Bender)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 92 10:12:22 MDT
> I read an article somewhere can't place it now.  But the jist of the article
> was that PVC pipe was a very bad idea for plumming high pressure air lines.
> there were several reasons listed, the most compelling being that should the
> pipe crack under high pressure it has a tendancy to explode into tiny bit of
> high speed shrapenal.  This didn't sound like my idea of pleasant weekend
> experience.  I am sill looking for an inexpensive way of plumbing my shop for
> air.  I will probably end up using 3/4" air hose.  This will give me the
> felxibility of rerouting it as my shop changes.
> --

If you use the super-economy stuff this may be true because it is only
rated at 180 or 200 psi.  I don't see why it should'nt be reasonable to
use schedule 40 PVC which is rated at 480 psi and only costs about $.15
per foot (1" dia).  If you're still paranoid, you could get schedule 80
PVC rated at 630 psi at about 50% more cost.

-Steve-