Re: MGB Exhaust & Vintage Races

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Exhaust & Vintage Races
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1992 09:51:03 CDT
Warning: Little or No LBC Content ahead!

bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones) writes:
> I am asking you folks for any recommendations on exhaust systems.
> I haven't decided yet how much I want to replace, so info about
> anything from mufflers and headers would be appreciated.

I had a nice surprise when I took my '72 G.T.O. to a local Car-X muffler
franchise last fall. I needed a complete full independent dual system
(i.e. 2 mufflers, no crossover) put it. Needless to say, they had almost
no pre-bent pipes in stock, save for the right rear tailpipe. "No problem,"
they said, "We'll custom-bend the others from straight stock at the same
price. Only thing is, the custom-bent ones are a slightly different material,
but we'll spray a little silver rustoleum [or something] on the stock pipe
to match it." I grumbled a bit but paid the tab. (This place is a good one.)

Nine months later, (as you may have guessed) the right rear pre-bent pipe is
starting to rot; the custom-bent pipes look brand new. The moral is: you
should call around, find a Car-X place that's completely unable to get the
right parts, and go there!

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473