Re: TR6 Seats, Carbs, and Dimmer Switch

To: sol@hoosier.cs.utah.edu, hood@advtech.uswest.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Seats, Carbs, and Dimmer Switch
From: bownes@pluto.crd.ge.com (Robert M. Bownes)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 92 09:50:08 EDT
->My "to do" list for the car is already long and still growing fast.  I'm
->
->  - I was reading through the owners manual and it indicated that you should
->    use the "seasonal grade of motor oil" for the dampers (or whatever
->    they're called) in the carbs.  I checked them and they're low on oil,
->    but it looks more like automatic transmission fluid than motor oil.  What
->    should I be using?
->

        Some folks like transmission fluid, some like 30 weight, some like
Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). Personally, I use 3-in-1 machine oil. It's a
preference,
and since it all leaks out in a period of a week, it doesn't really matter to
me.

->  - The dimmer switch (column mounted) is worn out and will need to be
        Don't remember.

->  - I have a new knob to replace the broken on one of the window cranks,
->    but I can't figure out how to pull the handle off.  My old VW had a
->    pin that you'd drive out with a nail, but I can't find anything comparable
->    on the Triumph.  Suggestions?
->
        That's exactly how it works. Push the door panel in as far as you can,
including the black spacer. Look for a pin going through the post in the centre.

->  - The right angle drive for the speedometer cable connection to the
->    overdrive unit is dead.  While the gears still work, the shaft that
->    pokes in to the overdrive has disintegrated in to a tangle of wire.
->    I can get a new one from TRF for $75, but I was wondering if anyone
->    knew of a cheaper alternative or a way to fix the old one.
->

        There are several places that rebuild these for ~$50.00. I however,
found
that Pegasus Racing Supplies sells them new for $54.99. Check with them @
415-782-0880. They are meant to drive tachs on Formula cars, but the size
is the same. Make sure you get one with the right size tang though.

->  - I'm going to be putting a non-competition roll bar in the car and would
->    be interested in any suggestions on sources and/or installation
->    procedures.
->
        TRF, Moss, or Victoria British for authenticity. I'd personally go
with a Street Application bar from Pegasus (who buys it from Autopower)
for $179.95 + shipping.

iii