Re: Re: MG ignition switch blues.....

To: SOL <british-cars%hoosier.cs.utah.edu@hoosier.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: Re: MG ignition switch blues.....
From: berry@athos.pei.com (Berry Kercheval)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 92 11:02:08 PDT
TeriAnn wrote:
> Ric, by "a race-car type push button starter switch" are you refering to the
> type that came in the TR3 that went to a soliniod or the type that came
> on the Land Rover that was the solinoid?

I think he's referring to something like I have on the Bentley.  THe
key actually does nothing but unlock the ignition/light switch,
allowing movement.  You then move it to IGN ON, which enables current
to the coil.  Next, you press and hold the 1/2 inch chrome button next
to it, that operates the solenoid, and the car starts.

One neat thing is that you can lock the switch into a mode where the
ignition can be turned on and off, and leave it there.  A valet can
then move the car without needing the key, allowing you to lock
valuables into the trunk with out any (er, um, well, with *less*) fear
of them being stolen.

Unfortunatly, parking attendents these days tend not to understand
this.  I once spent ten minutes showing an attendant how to start the
car without the key, and he claimed he understood, but when I came
back to claim the car it took them half an hour to retrieve the car
from the bowels of the parking structure.  I of course, couldn't go
down for it -- insurance regulations.

Bad parking attendant!  No tip!

  --berry

--
Berry Kercheval :: berry@pei.com :: Protocol Engines, Inc.  Mt. View, CA
"And there's more where that came from!"