Undeliverable mail: returning to sender

To: british-cars%hoosier.cs.utah.edu@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Undeliverable mail: returning to sender
From: Nelson Yaple <Nelson_Yaple@ccm.hf.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 92 10:38:09 PST
>         I have a 72' MGB GT that has about 200K on the clock. I
>         don't know if the lower end has ever been rebuilt.  The car
>         runs fine but is definitely noisy.  I know this is nothing
>         new for an MG.  It doesn't burn any oil (no blue smoke) and
>         the plugs look good.  The rockers are worn and the water
>         pump has slop.  The question is when I accelerate at about
>         3K RPM it knocks fairly loud only during acceleration
>         (load).  Is this Main Bearing, Big End Bearing or just the
>         things I just mentioned?  I kinda hate to mess with it while
>         it runs ok but am I delaying the envitable?  I'm at the
>         decision point to just replace the pump and rocker assembly
>         or pull the whole mess and start over.

          More info on my MG. I did a compression check and the #1 =
          125 psi, #2 = 123, #3 = 117, #4=125. This is an 18V engine
          Low Compression. The books stat compression shoudl be ~130
          psi.  My oil pressure hot is 15-25 at idle and 50-60 at 3000
          rpm.  It has a 45D4 distributor (not the original) from a
          1975 car. The vacuum retard is disconnected and the timing
          is at 10 degress BTDC at idle (1000 rpm).  I had new values,
          guides, seats and seals done last year

          Again thanks for all the response so far, I'm leaning toward
          a complete rebuild.

          Nelson.

          Nelson_Yaple@ccm.hf.intel.com