MGB engine question

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: MGB engine question
From: mwilson@max.arc.nasa.gov (Michael A. Wilson)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 92 19:28:33 -0700
Ok, here's a bottom-end novice question for all of you:

My '67 MGB clatters on startup (when cold) and the clatter returns after
the engine gets warm. It is worst at moderate (2.5-3.5k) RPM's.  The oil
pressure is pretty good, about 60 when cold and then dropping towards 40
when hot. A couple of people have suggested rod bearings, and it looks
like I can change these by dropping the pan. The basic question is: How far
should I go with this? In particular, (assuming that the engine hasn't been
rebuilt) isn't it unusual to have good oil pressure on a tired old engine?
If it HAS been rebuilt, why dead rod bearings, unless the oil passages are
blocked? etc etc etc.

What should I look for when I am under there to help me decide to just put
in the new bearings or tear it all down and start over? For the short term,
I can see just changing the rod bearings and see what happens --- if worse
comes to worse, I'm out a few bucks and a couple of hours to be right back
where I started. This I am used to --- besides, the "dining room" is pretty
full of stuff, already, without an engine project. However, I don't want to
mask a problem that will lead to more serious grief later...

   Thanks for your advice:
Mike
 Mike Wilson, MS 239-4                                mwilson@max.arc.nasa.gov
 NASA Ames Research Center                              (415) 604-5759 day
 Moffett Field, CA   94035                              (510) 444-5631 eve