Thoughts on Master Cylinders and Spring Compressors

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Thoughts on Master Cylinders and Spring Compressors
From: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1992 10:18:42 CDT
I'd like to make some observations here on a couple of topics going around:

1) Master cylinders: My experience with brake bleeding on a variety of cars
   has been that the master cylinder often fails within a short time after
   a pedal-pumping bleed session following some brake service. My opinion
   would be that the pumping tends to scrub up the piston seals with a lot
   of travel down to unworn (e.g. somewhat less than polished) ends of the
   master cylinder, occurring during those first few pedal-to-the-floor pumps
   to get the air out of the lines. I submit that the EZ-Bleed approach prob-
   ably saves a lot of wear on the master cylinder. (Disclaimer: I don't even
   own an EZ-Bleed, although I bought one for a friend!)

2) Spring compressors: For Heaven's sake, have a grudging respect for the
   pent-up power of a compressed spring, and use the proper tool for the job.
   A breakaway spring can have the same explosive power as that of an engine
   dropping off a cheap engine hoist, but without the split second chance for
   you to get out of the way. I don't mean to insult the people who've had
   good results with improvised wood blocks or nylon straps, but I respectfully
   suggest that this advice is going out to others who may not have your level
   of expertise in fabricating tools. I haven't had any accidents myself,
   though I have vivid memories of a little Monza going over railroad tracks
   as I walked by. The old lower ball joint broke on the tracks, and the coil
   spring fired the lower A-arm into the pavement with such explosive force
   that it dug in and spun the car around.

Just my two pence...

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473