Re: Midget still running too rich

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Midget still running too rich
From: Jeffrey Lo <Jeffrey_Lo@ccm.hf.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 92 12:30:27 PST
> Some background:  1979 MG Midget - single Z-S carb.

> The PROBLEM:  It's sucking _way_ too much gas.  I can't get the colortune
> even start to hint at anything but yellow.  Obviously the mixture
> -is screwed
> up but I can't seem to fix it.

> I've had the carb and choke apart numerous times and everything seems
> -to be
> OK there (although I freely admit I'm far from an expert on these
> -things).

Well, as I think someone on the list mentioned a while back, there is a piece of
the Z-S 175CD carb. called a temperature compensator or something like that
(I'll have to check the book).  It's a plastic and metal device about 2-1/2
inches by 1/2 inch on the side of the carb.  Anyway, the Haynes Z-S manual says
to never touch the screw settings inside the thing or it won't work right.
There are some magic settings done at the factory.  Of course I took mine
completely apart and cleaned it up when I rebuilt the carbs. and all I got was a
yellow flame from the Colortune.  How did I fix it?  I pulled the units off of a
couple of spare Z-S 175CD carbs I had lying in the garage.  They were all grimy
but I made sure I didn't touch the screws inside and now I get a nice blue flame
from the Colortune.  Of course, this was about the same time the right rear
wheel bearing ate itself, so I haven't had a chance to drive it when it was in a
reasonable tune yet, but that's another story.  BTW, this was on a '74 TR6.  I
don't know if you are having the same problem, but it's something to keep in
mind.  Even if you are suffering the same malady, I don't know how you would fix
it other than to keep tweaking the settings until it works, or to find a new
temperature compensator unit that is in a proper state.

-- Jeff
'74 TR6 waiting for a wheel bearing ;-(
Jeffrey_Lo@ccm.hf.intel.com