Re: Clanking Car

To: GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com, british-cars@hoosier, lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com
Subject: Re: Clanking Car
From: Philippe Habib <phabib@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 21:05:20 -0800
My old Austin Marina had driveshaft problems that I didn't recognize until it
was too late.  By the time I figured out it was the driveshaft the ends that
hold the bearing cups were no longer even close to round.  They were worn to
about 1/2 there original amount of metal with the resulting hole being a kind
of an oval shape.

The new driveline cost way more than I could afford and besides which it had
to come over from England.  So, I bought the new U joint and made a carbon
rod the size of the bearing cups.  I stuck it through the old driveline and
welded around it.  Then I removed the carbon and ground a new spot for the
clip to sit in.  The repair lasted longer than the transmission did on the
car so I guess it worked well enough.