Re: Solex rebuild kits

To: dixon@fourfold.pc.ocunix.on.ca, fadushin@mailbox.syr.edu
Subject: Re: Solex rebuild kits
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 92 08:47:52 -0800
The Solex on the Land ROver is a dependable unit.  The cheap replacement is
a 1 barrel Rodchester from the old cast iron Chevy 4 cyl.  You would get a
slight boost in power since the LR is undercarbed & the air cleaner is
a good fit on the Rochester.

I too have occasionally given thoughts to making a manifold & adding SUs for
additional power.

I have been giving serious consideration to replacing my LR engine with the
cast iron Chevy 4 cyl.  I am getting tired of listening to the main bearings &
of the valve float from tired springs.  Parts alone for a major rebuild
on the LR engine is over $1500!.  The Chevey 4 is lighter, about 25% higher
HP (important to people behind me on a hill), and better fuel milage.
It is way cheaper, fits into the stock engine mounts with no mods,
radiator hoses line up & so does the carb linkage.

TeriAnn