Re: ABS disconnect

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ABS disconnect
From: paul@azariah.tamu.edu (Paul Russell)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 92 16:28:45 CST

> Hmmm. Maybe someone can help me out here. I haven't done any autox yet
> but at least driving formula cars, the idea of trail braking isn't to
> lock the wheels up or even to encourage the back to come around, but
> merely to keep weight loaded onto the nose to keep the car turning in,
> and minimize understeer. So, this should work just as effectively with
> ABS (the weight still gets transferred, that would just depend on how
> hard your car decelerates and how high the cg is)

You are exactly right if you're driving a car with real 4-channel ABS.
If you drive a FWD car with a lame 3-channel system, the system works
great in a straight line.  But, the second you try to trail-brake into a turn
the inside rear tire gets "unloaded" and causes the ABS to over-react.
Thus, leaving you with a brake pedal rammed in your face and not enough
weight transfer to minimize understeer.

> I guess what Paul's saying is that not only does all the required
> equipment have to be present on the car, but it must all be fully
> functional in order for the car to be legal.

This is exactly what I was looking for, a discussion on the legality of it.
So far the general consensus is that it is not legal.

-Paul Russell
 Texas A&M