Re: gas aditives- smog tests

To: coryc@sequent.com (Cory Carpenter)
Subject: Re: gas aditives- smog tests
From: medtron!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@uunet.UU.NET (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 92 14:35:44 CST
>I believe that Everclear (more-or-less straight grain alcohol) isn't avaiable
in many states.  (Could be wrong, but that's what I hear.)

I think Minnesota still has a 100-proof limit.  Everclear is, I believe, 190.
We had the stuff in the lab stock at 3M, and you had to sign for it.  There
was 200 available, too, but you don't wanna drink it.  To get the last of the
water out, they use benzine, traces of which remain.  I think the stuff was
illegal in Wisconsin, too.  The legends are all of people bringing it in
from the Dakotas.  Come to think of it, it is probably illegal in Iowa, too.

>For the PDX area, the other solution is obvious:  Don't buy anything <20
years old!

You are safe with anyting 1975 or older in the Twin Towns.  Outside of the
7-county Metro, they don't test at all.  The whole thing is a scam.  The
Minnesota PCA jimmied the figures to get the Feds to require it.  It was a
real scandle.  Of course now that we know that, has the testing been halted.
NO.  Government by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats, and of the
bureaucrats.  And I am a bureaucrat myself!

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324