Carb adjustment

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Carb adjustment
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 92 20:24:32 EST
        On newsgroups (short):

>       And as for a newsgroup, I'll say what I say everytime the issue
>comes up. There are a fair number of us who do not get news for a variety of
>reasons, and not everyone has the ability/facility to set up a local
>news<->mail
>interface. We'd loose otherwise valuable, contributing members and replace
>them with the 'MY <US_BUILT_BIG_HONKIN_V8> IS BETTER' crowd that infested
>rec.autos.sport about 18 months after it's inception. It may have gotten better
>there, but I don't read it anymore.

        First, it is relatively simple to gateway a newsgroup to an internet
mailing list, so those that don't get news could get it by mail.  Second,
realize that there are a lot of lbc owners out there that either don't
have reliable mailing addresses (including former subscribers to b-c), and
far more that don't know of it.  Third, I don't remember the flamewar you
mention on r.a.s, and while there are occasional clueless postings, most of
it is fairly good.  The more specialized the subject (and the less of interest
to the "incoming freshman" types with their first taste of net access), the
less problems seem to occur.  As you might guess, I'm still in favor of a
newsgroup, either gatewayed to this list, or run simultaneously with the
list, as some other lists have done.

        On to carbs...

>       Spitfire (SU's) - Gas pouring out of the carb throats, and leaking
>               from the bottom of the carb where the brass shaft goes into
>               the nut at the bottom of the carb.
>
>       Reccommendations: Check float level. Dug out Roger's SU tuning guide
>               and will do that this weekend.

        I would strongly recommend checking the silly O-ring that goes inbetween
the fuel pipe to the jet and the float bowl.  These die regularily, especially
if the car hasn't been run.  Actually, the real question is how they work
at all...

        Also check the float valves.  If they don't seat properly, you get
gas pouring out of the jets.

        Last, check the fuel pressure.  The pressure should be realtively
low (I think about 1.5-3 psi?)  Most racecars fairly strong fuel pumps and
a pressure regulator somewhere - perhaps it's misadjusted, or maybe you need
to add one.  Often if you have this problem, gas will come out the vent
hole in the top of the float cover.

        (Remember the SU float-cover switching we did on the Sprite racecar
from Hell?)  ;-)

>                       Pitch 'em and get Weber's. Love to, but the rules won't
>               let me. Race car don't 'cha know.

        You think tuning SU's is a pain...

>       TR-6 (Zenith's) - Car runs *way* too rich. Carbs are adjusted as lean
>               as they'll go.
>       Reccomendations: Check that the needle isn't too far up the piston.
>                               Will check this weekend. Seem to remember doing
>                       this a while back, but will do it again.

        Careful: make sure they're too rich at running speeds, not just idle.
Air leaks affect idle WAY more than anything else.

        Check the float valves and the float levels.

        Check for wear on the needle - you have the later spring-loaded ones
I think.  You also have adjustable needles (I, for example, have non-adjustable
needles and non-adjustable jets.  Fun.

        Check the air compensators.

>                       Pitch 'em. - Can't, same reasons as above plus
>                               BIG $$$ for TR-6 weber set up I want. PI is
>                               about the same dollarwise.

        They can, however, be rebuilt, for a fair number of $'s.

>       Question: What is allowable slop on throttle shafts? TR-6's slop, but
>       Gumout doesn't cause the engine to stumble...

        Try some grease - it should do a better job (temporarily) of stopping
airflow than gumout.

        PS. Bob, if you find all my Sprite/Midget catalogs and restoration
books while moving, PLEASE keep them separate so I can pick them up in NY
sometime, or drop them with the Krauses.  Thanks.