Re: Alternator, Again

To: srt@aero.org, cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: Alternator, Again
From: rlindsay@amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 93 13:30:38 CST
Regarding the re-fried alternator:

Perhaps you've only fried the rectifiers (diodes) in
the new alternator.  However, I agree with Roland.  If
the car has an external voltage regulator, replace it.
It usually is a voltage AND current regulator that
protects the rectifiers from excessive current and
the subsequent heat death that they suffer.

Rick

     Richard O. Lindsay        /     __  __      __  __
  Senior Research Scientist   /   / /_/ /_  / / /_/ /_/
  Amoco Production Research  /   / / / /_/ /_/ / / / \
                            / /_/
                           /
My opinions are my own, until they're worth something, at
which point they become the property of my employer...