Re: Wire Wheel Play

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Play
From: britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 93 10:22:40 MST
I would agree with all of the responces to the wire wheel play.  All of the
splines I have seen on the LBC's ahve been flat on top unless they were worn
beyond use.

I had a personal experience that made me reconsider wire wheels all together.
My GT6 had wire wheels and they were definitly a tight fit to get on and off
(some tapping required) and the splines appeared to be in good shape.
However when I had the oportunity for very heavy emergency braking (dog
running out in the road) I discovered just how easy it is to strip all 4
wheel splines simultanously.  This of course left it imposible to stop under
normal breaking conditions.  I now use strickly disk wheels on any car I
intend to use as an every day driver.  Wires are great for show.  But I don't
recommend for every day use.

P.S. I missed the dog and limped the GT6 home.
--

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley

britcars@hpfckjs.fc.hp.com