Luftwaffe

To: dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uunet.uu.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Luftwaffe
From: Dave Van Horn <spitfire?DaveVH@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 800 10:11:45 PST
>>One of his planes was a BF109-G which he called Gustav.

"Gustav" was a common term for the 'G' model of the 109.

> As for the plane, I believe it was a Focke-Wulf 109 -- perhaps BF was
some sort
> of sub-model designation?

No, Bf was the initials of the factory that became Messerschmitt.
'Bf109' is the correct designation of the plane that is commonly known
as the Me109.  They went to the 'Me' designation after the Bf110.

The Focke-Wulf plane was the FW190, which never had a 'G' model; the
most common model was the A8.  The 'D' model, produced late in the war,
was known as 'Dora'.