Re: TR6 clutch master/slave repair

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, joe_flake@hpatc1.desk.hp.com
Subject: Re: TR6 clutch master/slave repair
From: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 93 09:24:37 CST
The master is aluminum, so brush up with a toothbrush, using
brake fluid only (no kero, etc!) and it rebuilds well.

I've never seen a slave rebuild properly, they always fail after
a few months and you risk tearing the gears up ($472.50) as it doesn't
disengage completely.  You can buy the slave locally its a cross
for something else (< $45), the clevis pins are at a sail boat
shop or you can certainly add them later.  Remove all the PO stuff,
I've seen this type of dumb stuff before, the stupid thing is
self adjusting and the replacement will cure the problem.  The middle
hole is correct!  Bleed the slave manually by pushing in the pin
with the bleed vertical... you can't bleed it after its bolted in
place as there is still a burp of air in it.

Good luck.

Roger

(I've rebuilt 3 slaves, all failed within 6 months something
to do with the constant 3 inch movement, I've NEVER had a brake
cylinder rebuild fail...)