SU carb question

Subject: SU carb question
From: "Darrell Walker" <walker@hprpcd.rose.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 91 10:50:37 PST
In reconnecting the fuel system on my 66 TR4A, I have discovered a
potential problem.  When I pump the priming lever on the fuel pump,
or even crank over the engine with the starter, I can force fuel to
spray out of the float chamber vent holes (I have HS6 SU carbs).

I inspected the floats and valves, and they appear fine.  I didn't
notice a problem like this when I began the restoration, but that was
over a year ago.  I have reinstalled the original fuel pump, which I
rebuilt (replaced aftermarket pump w/o priming lever).

The "spray" is mostly from the forward carb (which the fuel goes to
first), but the rear carb will also do it.

Questions-

        1.  Is it possible the I have too much pressure from the
            fuel pump?  I thought this might be the case at first,
            since it takes a bit of pressure on the priming lever
            to get it to spray (I was trying to test the fuel line
            connections).  But it also happens when I crank the
            engine with the starter.

        2.  Is this a common failure mode for the float valves?  If
            so, would groose-jets be better?

--
   Darrell Walker                 walker@hprpcd.hp.com
   (916) 785-4059                 HPDesk: walker (hprpcd) /HP5200/UX