Re: Drained battery on my B GT.

To: DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU (Dennis Wilson)
Subject: Re: Drained battery on my B GT.
From: HERTZBERG JEAN R <hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 91 18:57:57 MST
DW writes:

> I isolated where the short was.  I was getting a 10 milliamp current flow from
> the battery (and a 1300 ohm resistance accross the disconected battery leads)
> with everything switched off and all fuses removed.  The short is inside the
> altenator.  I have a less than infinity resistance accross two of the male
> conectors (where the wires plug in) and the car earth.  The third male
>conector
> gives an infinate resistance.  This third one is the conection to the warning
> lamp on the dash.

This sounds like a run around I put myself through some years ago. If you
work it out, 10 milliamps will take more than 4  months to drain a 30 amp hour
battery, although less to drain it past the point of utility..
My 68 MGB was unable to hold a charge, and I went through the same
procedure you did, and also came up with a small drain through the alternator,
due to the diode circuits, I think. My problem turned out to be that my
starter was dying a slow death, and requiring a huge current to crank. This
meant slow cranking, and battery wear. The starter lasted this way for four
years. I was lucky that the engine always caught on the first turn.
Anyways, some small current drain is unavoidable, I think. I would suggest
checking the starter, or at least check the
starter connections.
-Jean H.