ugh..be carefull...

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: ugh..be carefull...
From: The cutting edge 20-Dec-1991 1524 <metzger@decwet.ENET.dec.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 91 15:26:07 PST
>**** The trouble with such a scheme, is that the air from your compresor tends
>to have a significant amount of oil in it.  True, you can't have too much oil
>without ruining the paint, but maybe your lungs can stand less oil than the
>paint can.  Anyway, supplied-air respirator setups have their oil "oil-free"
>compressors.

Please don't try this at home...Your lungs can't stand any oil. As a SCUBA
diver I could tell you a few horror stories about shops with fouled compressors
or improper inlets into their tank pumps in which people have died from
breathing air contaminated with oil.....the aveoli get covered in the stuff and
effectively shut off any oxygen transfer through the lungs..asphixiation with
little chance of getting out alive....unless you've invested in one of those
smokers lung scrubbers advertised on saturday night live...

SCUBA shops probably lose money on filling up tanks but having a reputation for
good air brings in a lot of customers and $$$$ into the shops...

Is there anything wrong with running a big snorkle pipe from your breathing
suit outside to the fresh air (as long as its far enough from the contaminated
air)....I guess you've have a tough time venting CO2 unless you had a forced
air system....

I'd reccomend some SCUBA equipment but you'd have to paint your cars under
water or have a heck of a strong back....or find regulator with a heck of a
long hose....

John Metzger