"Hi Tech" Sports Cars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars List)
Subject: "Hi Tech" Sports Cars
From: Mike Johnson <mikej@hpupora.nsr.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 91 10:04:37 PST
One of the disadvantages of getting the digest of the list is that I can
only get into the discussions a day late.  (Come to think of it that is my
normal mode of operation ... a day late.)

Some quick background:
   I am a sports car freak.  Have owned Datsun 1600, Full race-road worthy
   Morris Cooper S, Rubber bumpered MGB (wife's car), Mazda Rx7.  Currently
   own Europa TC and Jag Mk I (not running).  I learned to drive in Dad's
   MGA.

OK to the point:
   I am very glad to see the Miata.  In fact I am very happy to see what
   Mazda is doing with cars these days.  Back in '75 I was recovering from
   a couple years traveling the world.  I had very little money.  I got
   around on a 350 Honda or a 850 Norton (those are motorcycles (:-).  I
   was looking for something inexpensive to buy that would be fun to drive.
   There was very little available and nothing new at all.  LBC's were out
   as I had no tools and no place to put them if I had them.  Forget
   about working on a car.  If the Miata had been around my problem would
   have been solved.

   Lets not forget that LBC's (or most of them) were intended to be sold to
   the consumer market just as Mazda is doing with the Miata.

   It is also nice that Mazda is building what maybe one of the best
   "sports" type GT cars in the new Rx7.  The original Rx7 was a very good
   GT.  See its SCCA results for many years running.

   I think (or hope) what will happen, is that as more people see/buy the
   Miata they will become educated about what pleasure there can be in
   DRIVING.  As their awareness broadens some will start looking at the
   roots of the sporting breeds.  Well, that is where we come in.  Ready to
   befriend these masses hungering for knowledge aND TRUTH AND *BEAUTY*!!!!

   God its hard to type when you are standing on the desk jumping up and
   down ...

                                 mike johnson
                                 mikej@hpupora.nsr.hp.com