I can't work out this oil pressure problem, can you ?

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: I can't work out this oil pressure problem, can you ?
From: Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1991 17:10 PST
I've not long had this 73 B GT, so I thought it a good idea to change the,
simple, right?   Wrong.
When I first got the car the oil pressure gauge read a rock solid 50lbs.give or
take 5lbs whether the eugine was cold or hot.  It would not drop at 1500 revs
even when hot.

So I change the oil, put on the new filter and here begineth problem 1.  The
oldchampion oil filter was about twice the hight of the new purolator one.  so
i called the shop to make sure it was the correct one, yes it was. They cross
referenced the old champion one to a different purolator one.

Anyway i went ahead as the filter did fit.  Sated up the car and the oil pres
did take along time to climb from 0, about 6 seconds.  but it would only go to
about 25lbs.  It stays at 25lbs for a short time then as the engine warms up
it slowly climbs to 50lbs and then stays there no matter what the engine temp.
(remember the car has an oil cooler).  The oil I used was castrol 20-50.

I just want to add a short, "I'm a dumb s**t" section.  When I started the car
after changing everything i was worried that the oil pres took along time to
rise, I looked behind the car and smoke was billowing out. Oh my god I've
fried the engine I thought.  The smoke was a blueish colour.  Now I was feeling
pretty bad thinking where the hell i would get the time and $$ to rebuild the
engine which was done 20K miles ago anyway.  It turns out that the smoke was
just condensation coming out.  It looked really bad, or rather much worse than
earlier that afternoon as a fog was setting in.  I felt much better after i put
my hands to the exhaust pipe and they got alittle wet and the fumes smelt wet
and "OK" not chocking like when you burn oil.

So back to my oil pressure problem, why should it do this??  My midget has
high oil press to start with when cold then it comes down.

Cheers DW