california statutes

To: autox@hoosier, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: california statutes
From: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)
Date: Fri Dec 6 16:26:15 1991
due to the miracle of Westlaw (tm), I have located the troublesome california
statutes.

I do not have the present capability or knowledge to upload these statutes,
however, any good law library, westlaw or lexis should provide access.

the statutes begin at California Revenue & Tax (CA REV & TAX) section 10752

10753 is entitled Determination of Market Value; basis; modifications or
additions to vehicle;

$200 is the threshold

the value is based on cost price to the purchaser excluding taxes

cost of adding emissions equipment is excluded (how nice)

10753.2

this section aids one in determining the value of vehicle as it ages,
for example: for the first year, 85 percent of a sum equal to the middle point
between the extremes of its class as established in subdivision (b) of this
section.... etc.

10902

if you total the vehicle you can receive a partial refund of the vehicle
license fee.

also of interest

CA Vehicle Section 1810 - provides that the department may sell information
>from its records concerning the registration of any vehicle or information
>from the files of driver's licenses at a charge sufficient topay the actual
cost to the department for providing  the inspection or sale of the information

In the statutes retrieved, there did not appear to be any language re the
continued valuation of vehicles for license fee purposes.  But that section
may not be published as of this date.... once it is, it would be found among
the above statutes.

Since I am not licensed to practice law in California, this is not my legal
opinion nor that of my employer, just the provision of publicly available
information.  Editorial comments are also not the opinion of my employer.

My primary editorial comment is that I am sure glad I do not have to register
my cars in California, the weather is not worth the hassle.

jim fuerstenberg

                        "No matter where you go, there you are"

                                                        Buckaroo Banzai
jfuerstenberg@dcri.dla.mil or