Ticking Valve Knock-Off Overdrives FYI

To: British Cars <british-cars@hoosier>
Subject: Ticking Valve Knock-Off Overdrives FYI
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1991 09:35:31 -0500
Do your valve overdrives tick?
OK, I'm gonna stick all this stuff in together:

 Subject: Valve Adjustment Gadgets and methods:

1) There at least used to ba valve adjuster with a dial guage made by
a company called P&G. I bought mine at an auction (nanyh, nanyh!)
it works great, you can even see how much you've just adjusted. This
does vary, do to uneven wear on the adjuster end, rockers, etc.

2) Lots of hydraulic lifter cars need to be adjusted with the engine
running, but solid lifters should be fine static. If you try the
hydraulic method of adjusting till the ticking goes away, you may
have too little clearence, which results in the valves staying open,
and burning.

3) Cold and Hot adjustment specs are sometimes different. Hot
settings should result in a bit better operation than cold.

WIDMER,CHRISTOPH ALBERT scribed:
 Subject: Whire Wheel Knock-Offs

> Since I'll ship my MGA MKII back to Europe (hey - it's a British car)
> I'll have to replace my winged knock-offs with octagonal ones. I would
       ^^^^
A new law?

> like to buy used ones or trade my winged knock-offs (in good shape).

Be careful on this one- While the splines are the same, I beleive the
threads on MG's wire wheels changes from fine to coarse around '65.
Which means all later 'B's (Winged and Octagonal) have coarse, and
are not compatible with the earlier hubs (Pre-war, T-series, MGA, early
MGB's) I'll have to check this, as my '64 B should have fine thread,
and I know my 65's and 67's are coarser than my '34.

This can also be checked by comparing the part #'s for MGA's and later
MGB's winged spinoffs in a catalogue.

Overdrives:
There are 2 styles for MGB's, matched to the tranny type (Non-syncro 1st or
syncro 1st). You need the rear engine plate, pilot bushing, and drive shaft
for the type you have. Plus switches & wiring.

Greg Meythaler scribed:
 Subject: FYI article

Did this actually get passed? I thought it was dropped/defeated.

I thought I hated paying sales tax *once* on used cars! This is
terrible legislation. It even undermines Californias polution control
efforts, cuz it makes it more economical to register old klunkers with
low value, rather than newer cars, or even well kept older cars!
Stupid, stupid, stupid! These invasive "possession" taxes make me sick.
And, they really hurt the common guy who manages to make a good deal on
an old car at some point, or bought "the right thing" when it was cheap,
forcing him out of being able to drive the car, or any incentive to
upgrade it. I would think California voter-activists would do a number
on this kind of thing before it gets out of hand. Next they'll come around
with a yearly tax on your family heirlooms, and the rare book or whatever
it was you found and saved when you were a kid.

Thank Lucas, NY registration is still based on car weight, which translates
to road usage. (heavy cars/trucks tear up the road faster) This actually
makes some sense. In PA, they have a real cheap "Antique Car" registration.

This is a similar effect to stagering increases of property tax on
undeveloped land, often forcing sale in small bits, or to a developer,
resulting in development and destruction of open spaces. It's getting
so you can't even afford to own swampland any more!

                                                NOTE NEW E-Mail ADDRESS!
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett             (sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | South Lansing Centre For
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | Wayward Sports Cars
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!