Re: Cars for sale in Colorado

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Cars for sale in Colorado
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 91 10:12:33 -0500
Kirk Buecher <kirkb@gr.hp.com> asks:

> '58 Austin A35, all original, good condition, $950 firm.
> 303-690-8622 after 6pm
>
> Is this the cute little boxy sedan? What is a A35 anyway?

The "cute little boxy sedan" you're thinking of is probably the
Austin A40 Farina.  The A35 had rounded styling, and the grille reminds
me of the back of a basket weave chair, kind of horseshoe-shaped.  The
ornament on the bonnet of an A35 was the "winged A".

I always joke that it seems like they are all black-coloured (can't
remember when I saw one of a different colour last).  Me Uncle Jack had
an A35 saloon... a black one.

Derived from the Austin A30, A35s were produced between 1956 and 1962 as
2 and 4-door saloons, estates (station wagons) and panel (delivery) vans.
The engine was the A series 4-cylinder ohv 948 cc, one Zenith carburator.
They were pretty small cars: 11 ft 4.5 ins long, 4 ft 7 ins wide with
a wheelbase of 6 ft 7.5 ins.  0-50mph was 29 secs with a max. speed
of about 62 or 63 mph.  You could get 34 bhp at 4750 rpm.

At $950, it might be a nice little addition to someone's stable of
British cars!

Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert