Re: brake fluid

To: sfisher@Pa.dec.com
Subject: Re: brake fluid
From: miq@chromavac.corp.sgi.com (Miq Millman)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 91 17:43:15 PDT
sfisher@Pa.dec.com says:

> Miq Millman has had some success with a valve he has designed that helps
> the fluid trickle into the master cylinder rather than "glugging" in from
> the bottle.  If the mailer is accepting messages there, you might get him
> to send you a description of this thing.

For the benefit of the entire list here is my amazingly inexpesive, headaches
be gone, use silicon brake fluid to your heart's content, sure fire no bubble
valve setup:

        get a large 8 or 10 penny nail,
        an old bottle with a metal twist on cap,
        a pyrex measuring quart or similar spouted device
        a drill bit the same diameter as the nail shaft,
        Some DOT 5 silicon brake fluid
        (optional) gasket material to fit inside the metal cap.

Drill a single hole in the metal cap a bit off center.
Optionally you can first put the gasket material in the cap then drill, I've
tried this to some success, but the annoyance of getting the gasket material to
fit perfectly doesn't justify the inprovement.
Put the nail in the cap and make sure that it can move in and out faily easily,
but that the head of the nail can be made flush with the cap.  It should look
like this in cross section:

               \         /
               /         \
               \   ___   / metal cap
               /____T____\

                     nail

Get the brake fluid into the old bottle with the twist on cap.  I use an old
peanut butter jar these days because it has straight sides and a large mouth.
I used to use a terpentine bottle and a measuring cup to get the brake fluid
in it, but found that with a wide mouth jar it was easier.

Fill the jar as close to the top edge as you can. Now hold the nail against the
lid and put the lid on good an tight.  While holding the nail against the lid
it will act as a plug and not let any fluid out.  I can do this with just my
thumb's pressure.  Turn the whole contraption over so that the nail is now
pointing down.  Put the tip of the nail into the reservior, and by pushing the
tip against the edge you should be able to coax the brake fluid to flow along
the nail and into the reservior without glugging and adding air to itself.

General rules to remember:  Don't skimp on the metal lid, cheap thin lids are
no good.  I've also used wide mouth plastic canteens but the plastic gets all
yucky after sitting for a while in the garage with brake fluid residue.  This
method is slow, but guaranteed if done correct to keep those pesky bubbles
out, I used it on Car Zero with great success.

--

Miq Millman -- miq@sgi.com or {decwrl,pyramid,ucbvax}!sgi!miq  415 335 1041