Previous owner bashing, or Meathead Mechanics

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Previous owner bashing, or Meathead Mechanics
From: "DSTONE, 5-9521, BPR: 237-2322" <DSTONE@sc9.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1991 08:10 PST
     Some of my experiences with dimwit repair jobs:

     1. 1960 Nash Metropolitan; my first car, and at the
     time, in Florida, was required to pass vehicle
     inspection to register. All went fine excepting the
     brake test, which registered an unregisterably low
     amount of braking force on only one of the front
     wheels. Pulling it apart later at home showed a leaky
     wheel cylinder, but of more concern was that while
     trying to bleed this wheel first, hardly any fluid
     would come out of the bleeder. Thinking line blockage,
     I began pulling things off, working my way back to the
     junction. I didn't have to go very far when I came
     across the head of a rivet stuffed into the end of a
     line at one of the connections. Seems this wheel leaked
     so bad, the previous owner had blocked the line to stop
     it up !

     2. When working at a body shop in Florida, I saw many
     cars succumbing to the tin worm, and just as many
     styles of rust repair. But by far the cheapest and most
     creative was to saturate several sheets of newspaper
     with fiberglass resin, then slap it over the offending
     spot. When it cured it was usually smooth enough to paint w/o
     any additional body work.

     3. 1959 Austin-Healey 100-6; One owner last 10yrs, who
     claimed to just "treat it like a chevy". This should
     have scared us off, but no, my brother & I bought it &
     among other things, found: A largish hole had once been
     cut in the hood over the carbs (NO, not a hood scoop
     !), but the was patched with a 1/8" scrap of aluminum,
     much larger than the hole, riveted underneath, and then
     smoothed over on the top with *lots* of bondo. Interior
     panels were held in with *nails* (yes, nails) in
     places. One of the rear bumper brackets had been broken
     off, & riveted back in place. There were *three*
     different styles of wire wheels on it. And much, much
     more, but I must get back to, ah, work now.

          just full of automotive horror stories-
                                                 dstone