spitfire_chain_and_rust

To: -v@prl.philips.co.uk, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: spitfire_chain_and_rust
From: Ben Hodson <hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 91 09:07:26 BST
Hi,

        Thanks for all the advice on timing chains and rust !
My Spitfire 1500 is now booked in for the sill and floor pan work
that needs to be done.

        Changing the timing chain was fun, I started on Saturday
morning, removed the fan and radiator and then started on the
pulley nut........Loads of WD40 and cursing later nothing. It
would not move. I tried hitting it, standing on the wrench, pleading
with it and other practices too sordid to mention :o)

        Finally as my great-great-great-great-great-grandfather used
to say, 'give me a long enough lever and I will move the earth'. I
found a 5 foot (1.5m) length of scafold pole and by removing the
alternator and water pump gave myself about 90 degrees of arc.

        The first friend sat with the car in top with his foot on
the brake, the second held the wrench and then we tried to move the
damn nut. At this point it had been sprayed with WD40 and left soaked
in the stuff overnight. The pole moved and a sharp crack issued from
the nut. It had worked !!!!!!

        The rest of the job was easy. The old chain was well worn and
about 3/4 inch longer than the new one. I was lucky it had held for so
long :). The chain replaced and every thing back together I started the
beasty up and it sounded much happier. So I fixed the rattle and the boy
Nige won the grand prix  0   0
                         \---/.

        Someone mailed me about a book regarding oooomphhing up
the 1500 engine and a book that I had seen. The friend that has it
is away for the moment but when he gets back I will post details.

        Ben 'it rattled, but not any longer' Hodson

        (hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk)