B-Bonnets, Removing Radiators, Mystery Marks

To: British Cars <british-cars@hoosier>
Subject: B-Bonnets, Removing Radiators, Mystery Marks
From: garnett@theory.tc.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1991 08:29:15 EDT
On Aug 27,  6:06pm, Todd Stepp wrote:

} Next,  I'll be driving along and all of the sudden the hood, excuse me,
} the bonnet comes unlatched.  Luckly the secondary latch has not failed
} while going 60 down the freeway.  I still have plenty of time to pull
} off and push the bonnet down.  Any suggestions on this one?  I am afraid
} I may be posting later explaining how I wrecked it on the freeway because
} the bonnet flew back and blocked my vision :(  This would not be a good
} thing!!!

This is not uncommon with forward facing British Bonnets. I've seen
more Jensen Healeys with bonnets bent from wrapping around the wind
screen than straight ones! You need to clean, lube, and adjust the primary
latch.  Make sure it moves easily. Make sure the cable is releasing fully.
The latch itself can be moved around by loosening the mounting bolts.
You can adjust the length of the mating bit in the bonnet by turning it
in or out.  And always make sure the secondary latch works good too!