Re: EXPLODING PARTS

To: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Subject: Re: EXPLODING PARTS
From: sfisher@Pa.dec.com
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 91 14:10:03 PDT
>     The alternator rotor bolts right up the end of that crankshaft.  It is
>made of a group of magnets embedded in melted carburetor stuff,

Ah!  At Abingdon, this was the mystery metal Pistominium.  The race
shop always had a pile of broken, worn, and otherwise unusable pistons
lying around, and whenever they needed to cast something in small
quantities, they'd toss all the pistons they could find into a pot,
heat it on the stove, and cast it as best they could.

This titbit of information comes from John Thornley's wonderful book,
Maintaining the Breed, which every MG enthusiast should read.  The
farther I get into the book, the more I'm convinced that it's not
coincidence but rather some sort of karmic necessity that the majority
of the cars in Fizzball Racing are MGs.

--Scott