Re: tire and top preservatives?

To: british-cars@hoosier, rgb@halaus.hal.com
Subject: Re: tire and top preservatives?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 91 14:29:02 pdt
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 91 15:11:05 CDT
From: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: tire and top preservative?

>What has been the experience with tire and top
>preservative?  I understand that some of the tire manufacturers
>will void the warranty if "Armor-All" type products are used on
>the sidewalls.  Same goes for the top, what is the best stuff
>to keep the bird droppings from staining, etc.

Damn, this was covered in a talk given to the Shelby Club by a tire
expert a few months back.  I meant to write down a few things after the
meeting but forgot.  I recall two substances being mentioned to preserve
tire rubber and Armor-All was definitely NOT one of them.  The only one
of the two I do recall is glycerin.

One other interesting fact I remember from this talk is that the shelf
life of racing tires is about one year because of the volatile resins in
their softer tread compounds.  After that these tires tend to harden
and lose their stickiness.  The proper way to store racing tires is
in sealed plastic bags.  Wished I could remember more.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.dtc.HP.COM
CSX2282