RE>Seized motor (Rebuilding

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: RE>Seized motor (Rebuilding
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 19 Feb 91 10:31:48
        Reply to:   RE>Seized motor (Rebuilding?)

From: kendall@amix.commodore.com

> I see that Scott Fischer has finished his engine rebuild, and that's
> prompted me to post a little update about my rebuild ('79 MGB).  As
> you may recall, this all started when I was wandering across a
> cornfield and I heard a ghostly voice whisper:
>
>               "If you rebuild it, it will run..."
>
>                                       -- Scott Turner

I'm in the process of rebuilding an MGB motor as well, an 18GB (out of
a 67 BGT).  I have one major problem.  The pistons are frozen, but good.
My question is, does anyone have experience getting pistons out of a seized
motor.  I've tried penetrating oil, sharp rap on the top of the pistons....
to no avail.  The reason it's seized is because someone took the head off it
and left it like that (it was still in the car, and the hood was
covering it).

I'd hate to give up on the motor, all the bearing surfaces are in really
fine shape.  It doesn't look abused except for this slight problem of
being seized.   Ideas?
   How about heat?  Fill the combustion chambers with "Marvel Mystery Oil".
Get yourself four-or-five propane torches.  Get the block nice and warm.  THEN
apply the sharp rap.  ( Hammer on wood )

           - Jerry Kaidor