Re: cars painted BRG

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: cars painted BRG
From: lupienj@hpwarq.wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 16:10:24 EST
I just wanted to point out that BRG is not "just a car color". Paint
your british-cars BRG if you like, but what it meant "way back when"
was "this car is racing for the glory of Britain". Which is what you
should be doing with a car that's painted BRG. The "physical plant" of
your vehicle seems not quite orthogonal to the intent of your racing.
For instance, if BRM was to take a German tub, an Italian transmission, and
a Japanese engine, paint it BRG, and race it, I'd have to say "that's good".
If someone buys a clapped-out Jag to restore it, paint it BRG, and store
it in the garage forever, I'd have to say "that's up to them" (but I would
not like the idea). My point is that BRG is the British racing color, and
should be used for British racing. Am I off base?

The Miata, whatever else it may be, is a knock-off of a Lotus design. If
it is to be raced, what better way to pay tribute to the real designers
that inspired it than to paint it in British racing colors? It's not as
conceptually direct as the
British Driver/British Team/British Car/British Racing Green
idea, but it has the elements of good style.

Here's to BRM: British Team, British Tub, British Engine, British Racing Green
(I hope).

--
---
John R. Lupien