Tyre pressures ?

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Tyre pressures ?
From: ks5k@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 17:19:03 EST

        This question concerns the proper inflation for a LBC tyre.  Often
the tyre recommendation and manufacturer recommendations differ.

        For example on the Triumph Spitfire, the recommended pressure
is something rather low like 24psi rear, and 22psi front (or similar).
A while back there was a discussion about swing axles and Jim Muller
made the point that these soggy tyre pressures are critical to keep
the axle from buckling on hard turns.  Of course my tyre's max
inflation is somewhere around 32psi.

        My question is:  If you are not doing any performance driving,
what is the best pressure for efficiency and safety?

Kristian

p.s. I am also curious to hear about the 1-3 minute technique for
alignment checking.