TR8 ignition fixed

To: british-cars-local@wsl.dec.com
Subject: TR8 ignition fixed
From: barry@sybase.com (barry klawans)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 90 10:44:52 PST
I've been on vacation, or I'd have sent this out earlier.  As you may or may
not remember, my TR8 (1980, FI) was suffering from intermittent ignition
cut-outs, which makes the car very, very hard to drive. :-)  To make a long
story short, after poking around the distributer and talking to various folks
on this list, I decided to replace the entire ignition.  The TR8 has a Lucas
electronic ignition that is pretty bad, even by Lucas standards.

I bought a Lumenition optical ignition, and popped the puppy into place.  Not
as easy as I had been led to believe, but doable.  (The main problem was that
the conversion instructions were for a carburetor equipped car - no mention
of how to wire the fuel injection controller into the system.)  Now the car
runs beautifully!  After driving around for two weeks I seem to be getting
slightly better mileage than I was with the old ignition, but that might
be because the car is now timed properly.  I hadn't checked the timing since
I bought the car, so it may have been slightly off.

Thanks to everyone who sent advice and helpful suggestions.  Its great having
the car on the road again!

Barry Klawans      || "In the long run, numbers combined with low prices
barry@sybase.com   || overcame technological excellence as such.  There
Sybase, Inc.       || may be moral here."  - Martin Van Creveld