Re: What kind of oil to use?

To: garnett@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) (Roger Garnett)
Subject: Re: What kind of oil to use?
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 14:41:05 PST

| It still sounds a little strange to me. these are wear surfaces,
| and a coating/treatment may not last long anyhow.
|
| } I've also heard that some synchros are sintered with some oil that
| } the detergents leech out and "clean" away.
|
| Uh, er, that's a little on the fuzzy side. This comment may have
| origin in the nature of many bearings, commonly reffered to as
| "Oilite" bearings. From Machinery's Handbook, 16th Edition (c) 1959:
|
| "Pourous Bearings.- These are usually made from plain or leaded bronze,
| ... and are made from powdered metal that has been pressed into shape
| and then sintered, [which means "to heat without melting" -rg]
| producing a spounge-like structure capable of absorbing large amounts
| of oil, usually about 25 per cent of the volume of the bearing

| | On Nov 12, 11:10am, Dick Nyquist wrote: | } I have heard that once
converted to 90wt it's best to stick with it.  | } Going back to 30-50
after many miles on 90wt may not be a good idea | } unless you are
rebuilding th box.  | | Ptooey. Use 90 wt Hypoid gear oil where
reccommended, it is designed | to stand up under high shearing forces,
as ATF. Reccommended for | most rear ends, and for most Big American
Transmissions, but not | most British transmissions. It's so thick,
that it slows your | syncro action, making shifts more difficult, and
causing more | wear.  The British transmissions don't require the
high-shear oil.  | | The problem with detergent oils should have
something to do with | their holding contaminents in suspension, which
would make the | oil more abrasive, and may lead to more wear. They
may also have | poorer film charistics.  |

Hello Brit Car Folk,
 All the triumph syncros I've seen are good old solid brass .(I've seen
a fair number each of TR2,3,4,6,gt6&spit.) I also have some experience
with oilite. It is fairly brittle and is poor in shear and in tinsile
strength.  It is usually used in applications where an oil bath is not
available.  For these reasons I would be surprised to see an oilite
syncro ring.  While other sintered brass or bronzes are somewhat stronger
than oilite and might recieve design consideration because of low secondary
machining cost, "brass is Best".

As to my comment about viscosity, it should be read with emphasis on
" many miles ". Generally I agree with using the recommended wt of oil.
Though you've got to remember that these cars were designed to go
45 or 50 mph in cool english weather,where an hour is a long trip.
65 or 70 mph in hot weather of the USA for several hours, is a much
harsher enviornment, where extra viscosity may proove a boon.

regards/Dick Nyquist

ps: on a related matter, Has anyone got some good solid data comparing
the long and short term value of various engine oils and oil addatives?
I read an impressive note about Castol, What is the source? thanks