re: MG oil pressure and rebuilds

To: british-cars-local@wsl.dec.com
Subject: re: MG oil pressure and rebuilds
From: jean%spock.usc.edu@usc.edu (jean hertzberg)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 90 15:52:07 PST
Thanks for the suggestions, Roger. By the way, Garnett Auto parts in
San Diego is a good place, both for the courteous and knowledgeable
machine shop guys, and their foreign and domestic parts selection.

     I think your suggestion about the fluctuating oil pressure loss in
the rocker bearings may be right. My question now is, how do I check
those bearings? When I had the rocker assembly off during the rebuild,
I just slid the rockers aside a bit and inspected the shaft surface,
and felt for excessive wiggle in the rocker arms. Do I have to take the
whole rocker assembly apart and mic the shaft and bores? If I do that,
I'll have to un-torque the head, and that means replacing the head
gasket, right?  Ugh. Maybe I'll wait till spring, after all.

Goleta's not that far. I don't know anyone who's had work done there,
but I suspect they know their stuff. If I hadn't done my work in San
Diego, I'd have tried them.

------ Jean@spock.usc.edu