re: Andy Gets A New Car, Continued

To: taichi!"bellcore!wsl.dec.com!british-cars-local"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: Andy Gets A New Car, Continued
From: taichi!whs70@rutgers.edu (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 7 Nov 1990 9:05 EST
>From bellcore!wsl.dec.com!british-cars-local-request Wed Nov  7 05:20:46 1990
>About the seller: He really did ask us where we found parts for
>these cars (this after Andy described the number of things
>he happened to have sitting around in his garage: oil coolers,
>seats, door panels, window glass, etc.)  Am I just twisted from
>breathing too many Castrol fumes, or are there cars for which
>it's easier to get parts than MGBs?  (He ought to try getting
>parts for a TVR Grantura some time, right Steve?)

IMHO, parts availability is better nor than it was 10-15 years ago
and is likely to continue that way for the next 10-15 years at least.
I base that on the situation that exists for even older American cars (Model
(for example, Model AFords).  As long as there's a market, the parts
vendors (TRF, MOss, etc) will continue to meet it.

The one thing that always amazes me is: How many MG, Triumph
owners are still out there that don't even know of the existence
of vendors that cater to their marque.  As a President of the
Vintage Triumph Reg., I still get calls from people that "just
heard about the club", and in the coarse of conversation
invariably ask about parts availability.  I'm sure the same thing
exists for the MG clubs.

Interestingly, from an economic point of view, the increasing
value of these cars (especially MG & Triumph) should make parts
availability even better.  A good example of that is the availability
now of complete MGB body shells.  That wouldn't have been an economic
reality several years ago because few people would spring for the
cost of the new shell if the finished restoration wasn't going
to be at least near that in value.  Today, that's a much different
story.

Anyway, that's enough of a Brit-cars fix for this AM.  Glad to
be a part of this list for now and eagerly awaiting the return
of the full fledged british-cars list by Jim Muller.
Bill Sohl                      ||  email
Bellcore, Morristown, NJ       ||   UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research) ||    or
201-829-2879 Weekdays          || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com