MGB - can't select 4th gear

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: MGB - can't select 4th gear
From: Daniel J. Dasaro <mit-eddie!eos.arc.nasa.gov!djd@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 90 14:07:15 PDT
Hi gang,

Anyone ever have this problem?  This is a '73 or '74 MGB that's been sitting
for 3 years.  With or without the engine running the shifter just will not
move into 4th gear.  If I can talk the owner down enough I'll still buy the
car and have the tranny replaced ($1200) since my toolbox does not include
the necessary items to pull an engine!  In the meantime, a 3 speed oughta be
good for cruising at 25mph, and I can concentrate on the rest of the car.

-Danny (future SOL-er ?)