oil question

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: oil question
From: mit-eddie!sybase.com!barry@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (barry klawans)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 90 14:28:59 PDT
Not, not another of the dreaded "What kind of oil do you use?" questions.
Thank god :-)  My TR-8 shop manaul calls for Hypoid 75W gear oil, and has pretty
strong warnings about not using anything heavier.  "Hypoid 80W may be used to
top off the fluid level, but should not be used for a drain and refill."
Jim TenCate told me using 80W90 in his TR-8 ate his 2nd gear synchro, a fate
I wish to avoid.

Heres the problem: I'm leaking gear box oil, but I can't find anyone who
stocks 75W oil, or says they can order it.  Does anyone out there know if
anyone makes it anymore, or a source for it?  If not, any suggestions on
what I should use?  A synthetic? Automatic transmission fluid?

Thanks,
Barry Klawans
barry@sybase.com