Re: Trip to England (& France)

To: uunet!morpho!alan@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Trip to England (& France)
From: Mike Johnson <mit-eddie!hplabs!hpupora!mikej@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 90 13:49:24 PDT

> Hi!  I'm going to be off the list for about 2 months or so
> starting October 1st.  My company (in it's wisdom) has
> decieded to send me to France to work for the next 7 weeks.
> The good news is I plan to take about 10 days off before I
> come back and travel to England.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions about where to go and what
> to do?  I would like to see some car-related stuff and get
> a general overview of British history.  I plan to spend
> a couple of days in London, after that I plan to rent (excuse
> me, "hire") a car and drive around the countryside.
>
>    - Alan
>    (amc-gw!morpho!alan)
>
> P.S.  I wonder if I can get one of those new Mini Coopers into
>       my suitcase? :-)

Alan
   Well the timing is not too good.  England can be nasty during winter.
However you will have an wonrderful time anyway.  It is not possible to
move around England, or the UK for that matter, without soaking up lots of
History.  I remember finding a lovely old Tudor building in Cambridge.  I
admired it for a few minutes; there was not a strieght plane anywhere.
Then I realized I was looking at a modern dry-cleaning business.  The
building had to be 400 years old.  No signs saying "National Historic
Register" or anything.  They were just in this building.

   Where to go?  Unless you have specific things you *must* see, you can't
go very wrong by jumping in the Cooper and just driving into the countryside.
The English will stop at any wide spot in the road and set-up a small table,
get out their lawn chairs and read the paper while sipping tea.  This turns
out to be good fun.  There are things to look at everywhere.  But, be
prepared for wet cold and windy.

   Ah to be back in jolly ol' now that sprin ... uh winter? is here.

                          Have fun and stick your nose into old car stores
                          while driving into the country.

   Almost forgot.  While in London use the tube.  You can get anywhere in
   and around the city very cheaply.  I never worried about mugging etc.
   Must admit it was some years ago.  I lived there for 4 months in '74.
   Gads that was a long time ago.  Course London has been there for
   something like 1000 years.

--
 Mike Johnson
 Systems Engineer             UUCP:           hpupora!mikej