Re: Deer Reader

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM, mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Deer Reader
From: Michael Sands <mit-eddie!apple.com!sands@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 90 15:15:58 -0700
The stories of deer in the road remind me of a story in the local
papers some years back.  It seems here in the land of silicon and
honey, there are many newly rich young engineers.  They are able
to live the fantasy and buy fast cars.  They are not necessarily
adept at driving them.

I do not mean to doubt the current thread or the prowess of the
drivers currently listening to me.  In fact, I would imagine we
are better than average.

My disclaimer out of the way, the article went on to list the
many excuses for the off road excursions of these new Andretti's.
Deer, animals, ghosts and all manner of moving, living, and breathing
things were suddenly appearing in the middle of the road.  The
investigating officers were all amazed that no road pizza was ever
to be found.  All drivers risked life, limb, and their new toys
in generous attempts to avoid these "things", usually totalling
the toy.  In general, the investigations showed poor judgement
concerning the capabilities of the cars was the cause of the
accidents.  I thought it would be interesting to see how many of
these "kids" went out and bought another of the same fast car.  I
temper my driving, thinking I may meet one across on my side of the
road...

Michael