Re: MG TD Tires Needed

To: CJH@CornellA.CIT.Cornell.EDU, british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: MG TD Tires Needed
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 14:03:18 pdt
From: Chris Haller
Subject:      MG TD Tires Needed

>My '54 MG TD is a hostage in a local repair shop.  Just because all the

'54 TD?  I thought '53 was the TDs last year.

>any!  What I last bought was Michelin X 155-15 and that size seems to be
>unobtainable locally, and I can't see it in Car & Driver tire ads either.

155-15 should be a readily available size.  That's the stock size of
many VW bugs.  It seems to me that you might even be able to go up one
size to 165-15.  Check around for places in your area that service older
VWs.  The last time I checked Sears carried 165-15 though they didn't
have much of a selection and their price wasn't very competitive.  I
ended up buying Pirellis for my '70 Bug.  No complaints so far after 5
years use.  You might check out Dunlop if you want to stay original (or
a least British).

>have a big problem with rubbing against the wheel well.  What are other
>people using?  What can you recommend?

The tires on my VW rub when I turn lock-to-lock but that only occurs
when a tight turn is required while backing out of a driveway or
parking.  It's never been a problem during normal driving.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcilsn.HP.COM